Thursday, October 20, 2016

Review: Promise of Shadows by Justina Ireland


Title: Promise of Shadows
Author: Justina Ireland
Published by: Simon & Schuster BFYR
Released: 2014
Source: Library

Summary: Zephyr is a Harpy, currently residing in the Underworld prison of Tartarus. Her crime was murdering a minor god, which a Harpy is not supposed to be able to do. That minor god had just killed her sister, so she had reason to exact revenge. The price of admission to Tartarus is losing her wings. So Zephyr is not in a happy place right now. She's made a friend in Tartarus, a friend that looks out for her, which is a good thing. 
When the chance for escape from Tartarus comes, Zephyr grabs it. She then embarks on a wild adventure, learning family secrets, and discovering things out about herself. Zephyr is one Harpy you don't want to mess with.
My Thoughts: Meh. That's my overall opinion, meh. I wanted to love this book, but I just never connected with the story or characters. I was probably drawn in by the beautiful cover and the lure of Greek Mythology, which is something that happens to me every now and again. I just never fell in love with the story I was reading.
Good things about the book: Awesome Cover, which I already mentioned. Cool concept of Harpy's and Tartarus and Secrets. A Diverse Main Character that is pretty tough.
What felt off to me about this story was the weird timeline that was presented. I would have been much happier to follow the action as it actually happened, not get random flashes back in time or meager explanations of things that had happened in the past. This also felt like a whole series squashed into one book, which I wasn't a fan of. It was just a strange experience. I feel like it could have done better as a series, then we could have gotten more fleshed out characters, been able to care more about the characters, and felt a greater sense of closure when the story ended.
I just wasn't in love with this story. It could have been something cool, but it just turned into a meh read.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 3/5
Meh.

No comments:

Post a Comment