Monday, March 27, 2017

Review: The Accident Season by Moira Fowley-Doyle


Title: The Accident Season
Author: Moira Fowley-Doyle
Published by: Kathy Dawson Books
Released: 2015
Source: Library

Summary: The accidents start every October. They come in all shapes and sizes. Falling down the stairs, slamming your fingers in a car door, breaking your arm. Their skin breaks, they bleed, but they stay alive. The accidents end when October ends. There are other things that plague the Morris family too, secret things. Will this Accident Season be their last, or will it be the start of something new?
My Thoughts: There is something so magical about this book. I was sucked in to the story, the mysteries, and the magic. There was something so compelling about it. I had to read to the end.
If you didn't get it from the words above, I really liked this book. I don't think the overall plot was anything super special, but the writing, and the way it was all put together captivated me. I loved the feeling of this book.
I remember seeing this book everywhere on booktube, bookstagram, and blogs. The marketing for this was strong. The reviews were kind of mixed. All the talk made me curious, and I knew I had to read it.
I'm going to categorize this as a magical realism type of story. I could be wrong, but that's what it felt like to me. There was this sense of strangeness and magic that permeated the story. The Accident Season is really just a backdrop for what's really happening in this family. That might be why some people were disappointed by it. They thought they were getting one thing, but it was really about something different, and more mundane. 
The romance was also something that got some flack. I didn't mind the romance. I was able to justify it. I also thought they went well together.
I'm a fan of The Accident Season. It was a read that sucked me in and kept me reading. A fantastic debut. I'd recommend giving it a read.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 4/5
I Was Hooked!

No comments:

Post a Comment