Thursday, November 9, 2017

Review: A Torch Against the Night (An Ember in the Ashes #2) by Sabaa Tahir


Title: A Torch Against the Night (An Ember in the Ashes #2)
Author: Sabaa Tahir
Published by: Razorbill
Released: 2016
Source: Library

Summary: Laia and Elias are on the run, trying to escape the city while a Scholar Rebellion rages. Their new mission is to rescue Laia's brother from the dreaded Kauf prison. Obstacles will stand in their way, enemies will slow them down, and some characters will have to separate honor from loyalty.
In a world of darkness, Laia and Elias hope to bring light.
My Thoughts: I thought this book was fun, fast, and entertaining. I enjoyed reading it. I wasn't blown away by it though. It was fun, a nice distraction, but I don't think it will be making its way onto my favorites list. No shade. I kind of felt the same way about the first book, An Ember in the Ashes, which received massive hype when it came out, but just underwhelmed me. I'm interested in the series, but I'm not blown away by it.
One of my problems with this book is that I'm not the biggest fan of the world. It's just too dark for me, too violent. I don't like reading about torture, and I just don't like the hopelessness that permeates it. I think the author did a good job of creating it, but it's just not a world I like being in.
I also don't like the main villain, The Commandant. I like villains where you can sort of understand how they got there. Kerris just doesn't seem to have a heart, like she's never had a heart. I don't understand the hatred she has for her son. And her hatred for the Scholars in this book was excessive. She was like Hitler. I don't understand her. I think if I could understand the why, I would be able to buy into and believe in her evilness more.
I'm also not a fan of any of the love triangle/love square things going on here. It just feels unnecessary. I'm not really rooting for any of the couples.
I'm also not really sure how to feel about Helene. I get that she's conflicted, but it's hard to wrap my head around her job and her duty. I would want her to be more loyal to her friends then an Emperor who hates her. I also really wanted to slap the Commandant for stealing her special Trial Run Vest and take it right back.
There were some interesting twists and surprises that I didn't see coming. I'm interested to see what happens next.
I thought this book was fine, entertaining. but not worth all the hype. Just my opinion. If you love this book, that's awesome! That's what makes reading fun.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 3.7/5
So Much Death... and Violence.

No comments:

Post a Comment