Monday, January 22, 2018

Review: In A Dark, Dark Wood by Ruth Ware


Title: In A Dark, Dark Wood
Author: Ruth Ware
Published by: Scout Press
Released: August 2015
Source: Library

Summary: Leonora Shaw, also known as Nora, Lee, and other nicknames, is a crime fiction writer. She lives in a little flat in London, and loves it. She's a bit of a loner, happy in her routines.
One day, an email pops up in her inbox. It's an invitation to attend a hen party for her friend Clare, who she hasn't seen or spoken to in years. Nora wants to decline, but curiosity makes her accept.
It's a weekend retreat in an all glass house, in the middle of the woods. Nora feels awkward, realizes it was a mistake to come. Before she can leave, something happens on the property, something that will change her life forever.
My Thoughts: Meh. This turned out to be a mediocre thriller. I'm not saying it was bad, it just wasn't as thrilling and twisty as I wanted it to be.
I was kind of prepared for the averageness though. This is a hyped up book, but it has mixed reviews. This wasn't the thrilling ride I wanted, but I didn't hate it.
I did think it had an interesting start. A friend that you haven't spoken to in ten years invites you to a hen party, basically a bachelorette weekend. Why? Do you go? Do you decline? If that had been me, the curiosity would have been hard to resist.
There was also something about the weekend that felt so awkward. Stuck in a house with people you don't know or haven't talked to in years.
The setting of the house was pretty creepy too. Essentially in the middle of nowhere. So it had some intriguing bits to it.
I do feel like the story got so drawn out though, with the memory loss aspect. I can't say I was glued to my seat, flipping pages because I needed to know what happened next.
The ending also wasn't shocking or a major twist. It was fairly obvious who-done-it. The why it was done was just kind of ehh. I wasn't shocked or blown out of my seat by it.
I feel like this book would translate into a B Thriller movie. There's a great set-up, with a spooky setting, but then a really obvious ending. It's going to be okay to watch, but it won't change your life. It's not the best, most exciting thriller ever, but it's a way to pass the time.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 3.3/5
Mediocre

No comments:

Post a Comment