Monday, July 2, 2018

Review: We Were Liars by E. Lockhart


Title: We Were Liars
Author: E. Lockhart
Published by: Delacorte Press
Released: 2014
Source: Library

Summary: Every Summer the Sinclair family goes to Beechwood Island, a private island of tall, beautiful people. The Sinclair family swims in money, everything seems idyllic. Every summer Cady meets up with The Liars. She loves them all for different reasons. Every Summer is special, every Summer is golden, but nothing can stay the same forever.
My Thoughts: I'd been interested in reading We Were Liars for a long time. This book has been super hyped on booktube, blogs, pretty much everywhere. All I kept hearing was about the shocking, twisty ending and how good it was. Now, having read it, I'm underwhelmed. The hype machine let me down. I guess I can understand why so many people were hooked, but I was expecting something that was fantastic, and this wasn't it.
The writing in this book was kind of interesting to read. It could be beautiful and addicting, but then irritating. I don't know. I could definitely see why other people would like it, but it lost its sparkle after a while.
Another pro is that it's a very quick read and it doesn't ever get boring. I did find trying to keep track of the characters to be kind of confusing. There were too many little cousins running around, and I couldn't remember who goes with who.
I also didn't really love any of the characters. I didn't really feel like I knew most of them that well. They also tended to feel like spoiled rich kids who suddenly decided that their old money was evil, took to destroying things, but still depended on that old money. If that even makes sense. I couldn't get down with it. It sounds like they had great summer vacations and they didn't appreciate it.
I know I'm supposed to feel bad for Gat's character, but eehh. And the romance between him and Cady quickly got annoying.
One thing that was interesting to read about was the favoritism and sucking up to Grandad for the inheritance, the things. It was sad. Sad that the grown children felt they were owed it. Grandad knew what they were doing, and making them compete for it wasn't right, but maybe they deserved it. They should have grown up, been responsible, so they wouldn't be so dependent on Papa's money.
The thing I'd heard the most about with this book was the shocking twist ending, and I'm disappointed. I figured out what was going to happen. I wasn't shocked, it was kind of obvious. And honestly, it just made me not like the characters more. How stupid could they be?
Yeah, this was overhyped and just meh for me. It won't stick with me. The only feeling it really left me with was disappointment. It's a bunch of rich kids who don't appreciate what they have. I can't sympathize. It's not the worst thing I've ever read, but it's not worth the massive hype in my opinion.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 3/5
That don't impress me much.

No comments:

Post a Comment