Monday, June 24, 2019

ReRead Review: Shadow and Bone (Grisha #1) by Leigh Bardugo

I thought I'd do something a little different today and do a review of a book I reread. This is not a revolutionary idea, I'm sure. I used to reread books a lot more than I do now. Now, new books are coming out left and right, and it's a struggle for me to keep up with them all. I don't keep up with them all. But I've realized that sometimes you need a reread, sometimes it's nice to reread. So, I might already have a review of Shadow and Bone up somewhere, but this is like my updated thoughts. There will probably be very, very few of these ReRead Reviews, but I thought it would be fun to post them when I do actually reread something.


Title: Shadow and Bone (Grisha #1)
Author: Leigh Bardugo
Published by: Square Fish/Macmillan
Released: 2012
Source: Library Books
Random Tidbit: Reread

Synopsis: Surrounded by enemies, the once-great nation of Ravka has been torn in two by the Shadow Fold, a swath of near impenetrable darkness crawling with monsters who feast on human flesh. Now its fate may rest on the shoulders of one lonely refugee.
Alina Starkov has never been good at anything. But when her regiment is attacked on the Fold and her best friend is brutally injured, Alina reveals a dormant power that saves his life—a power that could be the key to setting her war-ravaged country free. Wrenched from everything she knows, Alina is whisked away to the royal court to be trained as a member of the Grisha, the magical elite led by the mysterious Darkling.
Yet nothing in this lavish world is what it seems. With darkness looming and an entire kingdom depending on her untamed power, Alina will have to confront the secrets of the Grisha . . . and the secrets of her heart. (Synopsis from Goodreads)

My Thoughts: I'm kinda glad I reread this. It's been quite a while since I've reread anything, and it really showed me how much I missed it. It's nice to revisit old worlds, characters, and see what you missed or looked over during the first read through. My plan is to continue with the series and finally finish it, since I'm now all refreshed. The first time I read this was in 2015, which is crazy. The first time I read it, I was more critical, and a little mean towards it.
I liked it. Things that irritated me the first time I read it, they really didn't bother me upon reread. I'm still unsure on how I feel about Alina. Sometimes she's quiet, but then she'll randomly respond with a highly sarcastic, sometimes a little mean comment. I don't know how to place her in my mind, if that makes any kind of sense.
I still don't get the appeal of The Darkling. Some of the things he did seemed creepy to me, definitely not romantic. So at this point, having only read Book One, I DO NOT SHIP Alina and The Darkling. I don't get the appeal of him. Just my opinion, even though I know it's not the popular one.
I liked this story. I enjoyed the setting. I liked the magic. It has this regal, artsy feel to it. I'm excited to see where the story goes next. I'm excited to finally be on my way to finishing this iconic YA Series. I'm also very excited to see the Netflix Series and how they adapt it, but that might be a while before it comes out.
I say this reread was a success. Who knows when or what I'll reread next.

BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 4/5
Grisha Fabulous! 

No comments:

Post a Comment