Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Review: Queens of Fennbirn by Kendare Blake (Three Dark Crowns Novellas: The Young Queens and The Oracle Queen)


Title: Queens of Fennbirn (Three Dark Crowns Novellas: The Young Queens and The Oracle Queen)
Author: Kendare Blake
Published by: HarperTeen
Released: 2018
Source: Library

Synopsis: Uncover the sisters’ origins, dive deep into the catastrophic reign of the Oracle Queen, and reveal layers of Fennbirn’s past, hidden until now.

The Young Queens
Get a glimpse of triplet queens Mirabella, Arsinoe, and Katharine during a short period of time when they protected and loved one another. From birth until their claiming ceremonies, this is the story of the three sisters’ lives…before they were at stake.

The Oracle Queen
Everyone knows the legend of Elsabet, the Oracle Queen. The one who went mad. The one who orchestrated a senseless, horrific slaying of three entire houses. But what really happened? Discover the true story behind the queen who could foresee the future…just not her own downfall. (Synopsis from Goodreads)

My Thoughts: I really enjoyed this novella collection. It packed the same intense punch that the novels do, except in a shorter story form. Both of the Novellas were really enjoyable. Do you need to read these? Will you be missing something from the series as a whole if you don't? Maybe not, but, if you're already a fan of the series, reading this is just a way to get a little more of it. I would recommend reading these two novellas (or this collection) after reading the first two books in the series, because you could spoil yourself if you try to read them before. I've only read the first two books in the series so far, so what do I know really? It could maybe spoil something for later books and I just wouldn't know. When looking in the front of this novella collection, I think it came out before the third book did, so that's why I think you could be safe by reading just the first two books like I did, and then jumping into this collection.

The Young Queens -- 4/5 -- I definitely enjoyed this novella. I liked getting this little glimpse of the past. Kendare Blake can just pull me into a story so fast. This Novella is about the events before the first book. It shows the birth of the queens, their separation, and some past events mentioned in Three Dark Crowns.

The Oracle Queen -- 4/5 -- Another good one. It was very political. It kind of had a slow start, but the end was pretty WHAM BAM! I liked getting the history of The Oracle Queen. What a tragedy. What a cast of no good, awful people too.

I'm excited to continue on with this series. It's really fun, really brutal, and I'm excited to see what happens in the third and fourth books. I'm also going to have to read more from Kendare Blake.

BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 4/5
Brava, Brava!

No comments:

Post a Comment