Monday, October 5, 2020

Review: By Night, Volume 1 by John Allison and Christine Larsen



Title: By Night, Volume 1
Created and Written by: John Allison
Illustrated by: Christine Larsen
Colored by: Sarah Stern
Lettered by: Jim Campbell
Published by: BOOM! Box
Released: March 2019
Source: Library

Synopsis: After discovering a mysterious device, Jane and Heather decide try their hand at documentary filmmaking... in another dimension! 
There’s something strange going on in Spectrum, South Dakota. 
Home to high school best friends Jane Langstaff and Heather Meadows, Spectrum is a boomtown that’s long since stopped booming, with nothing to show for its former glory but the abandoned Charleswood Estate, its dwindling sprocket millions, and the story of the disappeared industrialist who founded the place… But deep within Charleswood, unbeknownst to anyone, there is a device called the Eidolon, which can open up a doorway to an otherworldly dimension. And Heather and Jane are about to go knocking. (Synopsis from Goodreads)

My Thoughts: This was a quick and fun little graphic novel. I feel like it ended right when it was really starting. I'm still in the dark about where it's going to go. I wish it hadn't left on such a cliffhanger, give me a little bit of an ending!
The story was pretty interesting and fun. I think when I first looked at it, I was expecting a younger leaning story, but our characters' here were all adult age. They were coming home from college or with jobs.
I enjoyed the art style. It is very cute. This also had a great Harry Potter reference, (this is all depending on how you feel about HP) which I very much enjoyed. Justice for Winky!
This was a very quick story. I'm excited to continue with more Volumes so I can figure out what's going on.

BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 3.5/5
Cute and Fast

No comments:

Post a Comment