Saturday, September 8, 2012

Reading Right Now! The Peculiars By Maureen Doyle McQuerry

The Peculiars
Title: The Peculiars
Author: Maureen Doyle McQuerry

I am on page 205 of 354 which makes me 58% of the way through
This story revolves around Lena Mattacascar who has spent her whole life hiding her differences from society while secretly wondering just what she really is. Lena has grown up hearing about The Peculiars, people who are different than everyone else. People who might just not be human. Lena's Nana Crane has always accused her farther, who left when Lena was 5, of being a goblin. Nana Crane also says Lena has some goblin traits of her own. Her mother has saved a letter Lena's father wrote her and presents it to her on her 18th birthday. Lena finds money and a cryptic message inside. Lena decides to use that money to go to the Scree, the northern wilderness where The Peculiars are supposed to reside. Lena is on a mission to find her father and find out who or what she really is.
I'm liking this book. I think I might give it a 4. It's very odd but good. I'm really interested in finding out what Lena is. Is she a goblin? Are her hand and feet just a simple genetic mutation or is it from another source? The book is just very mysterious. It's also very authentic in it's Victorian feeling. I believe Lena is a girl from the Victorian Era. She's brave, but brave in a way that's believable for a girl during that time. I'm just very interested in finding out everything really.
At this point in time, I'm very much enjoying this book and recommend it. It not only has a beautiful cover but a very interesting story contained inside too!

No comments:

Post a Comment