Saturday, October 11, 2014

Reading Right Now! (#14)

Title: Skylark
Author: Meagan Spooner
I'm on page 182 of 344 which makes me about 53% done.

What I'm Reading Right Now! is Skylark by Meagan Spooner. I picked this book up through my library after reading and loving These Broken Stars. These Broken Stars was written by the author duo of Aimee Kaufman and Meagan Spooner. Since I absolutely loved These Broken Stars, I decided to check out any other works/books that the authors' had written.
This book is the first in a trilogy and centers around a girl named Lark. Lark lives in this domed city, sealed off from the outside world by magic. The rest of the world has been destroyed by some past wars and all the remaining citizens live in these dome shaped cities. The cities are powered by magic that is carried in all children. Children are called to be Harvested, stripped of their power to fuel the city and then assigned to jobs in the city. Being harvested is the passage to adulthood. Lark is impatiently waiting. At 16, she is one of the oldest people to have not been harvested. Finally her day comes when she is taken to the Institute to be harvested of her powers. But what should be a quick procedure turns into a nightmare when Lark learns that she is a Renewable and her power never completely goes away. The city plans keep her captive and strip her power from her again and again. Seeing that as a fate worse than death, Lark plans to escape the city and try to survive in the wasteland outside of it.
So I'm about halfway through this book and so far it is just a ho-hum, average read. I'm having a hard time really getting into the world that Spooner has created. Sometimes I'm like, oh this is interesting and cool, and then a man eating tree will come along and the randomness of it will just pull me out again. Also, I'm not sure that I'm really liking Lark as a main character. She's kind of getting on my nerves. She is scared of everything, like the sky and the rain, and I just want to tell her to get over it.
I do have the second book in the series checked out as well, so I'm probably going to end up reading that. 
Unless something super stupendous and awesome happens, I don't think I'm going to end up loving this book. So that's what I'm Reading Right Now! Let me know what you're reading and if you're enjoying it or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment