Monday, October 27, 2014

Review of: Night Film By Marisha Pessl

Title: Night Film
Author: Marisha Pessl
Published by: Random House
Released: 2013
Summary: Stanilas Cordova has fascinated Scott McGrath for many years. Five years ago, McGrath set out to uncover the secrets of Cordova and thanks to a mysterious source, Scott finally thought he had something to go on. Using the information from the mysterious source, McGrath makes a claim about Cordova that gets him in trouble. Five years later McGrath has lost his job and his family, so he decides to forget about Cordova. Then Cordova's daughter is found dead of an apparent suicide and McGrath is sucked into the Cordova web once again. McGrath, with the help of two other people, set out to investigate Ashley Cordova and are shocked by what they find. Cordova is hiding more secrets than anyone could imagine, secrets that might be too dark to ever see the light of day.
My Thoughts: I first just want to point out that this is a beautifully designed book which is one of the first things that drew me to it. I love a book that incorporates pictures and documents because the story becomes more real and takes on a life of its own. Night Film felt more like a movie than a book. I felt like I was experiencing a movie rather than reading. I loved the story, the characters, really everything about this book. Entering the world of Cordova was so creepy and fun and you don't know what twist or turn was going to happen next.
I really enjoyed our band of intrepid investigators, Scott, Nora, and Hopper. I thought they made a good team and were just different enough to compliment each other.
I really loved the story as well. Being along on the journey to uncover the secrets of Ashley Cordova and her father was a ton of fun and went in some very different directions than I was expecting.
At times, it felt a little long and a little low on the action, but it was always interesting enough to keep me reading.
That ending though! It definitely left me wanting a real conclusion and I didn't really get it. I want to know what happens to Scott McGrath. The ending sort of reminded me of a Cordova film. Night Film is definitely a good book and I highly suggest you read it!
BOOKCITEMENT 4.5/5
Uncovering Cordova's secrets couldn't be more fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment