Monday, January 19, 2015

Review: Daimon (Covenant #0.5) by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Title: Daimon (Covenant #0.5)
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Published by: Spencer Hill Press
Released: 2011
Summary: This short prequel takes place before the events that happened in Half-Blood. Alex and her mom are in hiding from the Covenant and Alex has no idea why. She's trying to blend in with all the humans around her, but sometimes her half-blood training takes over. When daimons attack Alex and her mom, Alex has no choice but to run. A nice little backstory preceding the events of Half-Blood.
My Thoughts: I enjoyed getting a little more of Alex's backstory. It was also nice to view a little of the relationship she shared with her mom. Daimon takes place immediately before the events of Half-Blood and it just felt like a nice little edition to the series.
I'm still not sure what's wrong with me and why I'm not absolutely loving this series. I felt the same way about Daimon that I did about Half-Blood, I enjoyed it, but I didn't love it. I'm still having my problems with Alex, mainly in the fact that she doesn't use her head. Being a tough, battle-ready half-blood doesn't mean she has or uses any common sense. There was a scene in the book where she could have taken out a daimon trying to kill her, because according to science titanium anywhere will kill a daimon, and instead she hits him on the head with a lamp??? I mean, come on. I just feel like Alex is cocky with a big mouth and then she disappoints me when it actually comes to fighting. I'm still hoping that as the series goes on, I will grow to like Alex more, or that she will grow into a better character. Whichever of those two options happens first will be fine.
I would say this prequel novella is an enjoyable edition to the series. It gives a little backstory and makes for a great lead in to Half-Blood.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 3.5/5
An Enjoyable Intro to the Covenant Series.

No comments:

Post a Comment