Monday, August 8, 2016

Review: The Devouring (The Devouring #1) by Simon Holt

Title: The Devouring (The Devouring #1)
Author: Simon Holt
Published by: Little, Brown and Company
Released: 2008
Source: Library
Summary: On Sorry Night when you are most afraid, the Vours will come and take your soul, your body will be all that remains. This is the story told by an old, tattered journal Reggie finds in the bookshop she works in. Reggie is a horror buff and takes it home to share with her friend Aaron and her little brother Henry. What starts off as harmless fun, morphs into something more dangerous. Henry is changing into something mean and deceitful. Reggie is afraid that Vours are real, and one has taken over her brother. Reggie is determined to learn more about the Vours, face her fears, and save Henry.
My Thoughts: I've been wanting to read this book ever since I heard Sue Moro/Sue's BookNook taking about it on her booktube channel. She made a comment about how this book really scared her, and that was all I needed to hear. I love a good, scary book and sometimes those can be hard to find in YA. I'm happy to report that I really liked this book. I flew through it and it lives up to being scary. It's creepy, unnerving, unsettling, and just fun to read.
In some ways, it kind of reminded me of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It had a snarky, tough main girl, a trusty friend and sidekick, and an older mentor who helps along the way.
This book genuinely delivered on the scare factor, which I loved. It's terrifying to think of a creature that can bring your fears to life to torture you. This book was also so fast-paced. I kind of raced to the end because I just couldn't stop. If you're creeped out by clowns, spiders, or drowning, then this one is really going to get to you.
The only thing I wasn't super in love with in this book was the POV writing style. It had the tendency to jump around a lot and be a tad confusing. I was able to get over that though.
This story was just creepy and good, and I'm so glad it lived up to its scare potential. Definitely one I'd recommend for Halloween or just when you're in the mood for something creepy. It does end on a bit of an unfinished feeling, but I'm super pumped to continue on with the series. Don't go to bed afraid on this one, the Vours could get you!
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 4/5
A YA With A Good Scare!

No comments:

Post a Comment