Thursday, August 25, 2016

Review: The Walking Dead: Compendium 2 by Robert Kirkman, Charlie Adlard, Cliff Rathburn, Rus Wooton, and Sina Grace

Title: The Walking Dead: Compendium 2 (Issues #49-96)
Authors: Robert Kirkman, Charlie Adlard, Cliff Rathburn, Rus Wooton, and Sina Grace
Published by: Skybound
Released: 2012
Source: Library

Summary: The phenomenon of The Walking Dead continues. Before there was a great T.V. show, there was a great comic. Rick and the gang are back in this colossal Compendium 2, which includes issues 49-96, or books 9-16 (whichever way you want to look at it). Since the prison has been lost, Rick, Carl, and the other survivors must once again venture into the wilderness filled with the walking dead. As the group struggles to survive and more members are lost, they try to find another place to call home. In this world where the dead walk and eat the living, Rick and the gang must watch out for the greater enemy. The biggest threat is now the Living! Will your favorites survive? You might just have to read to find out.
My Thoughts: I Love, Love, Love The Walking Dead. When I read and reviewed Compendium One, I think I was a little too rough on it in comparing it against the AMC television show. My love for the show hindered my perception of the book. With Compendium Two, I began to fully appreciate the greatness of the original comic. 
Although comic and television show are intertwined, they are also visibly different, and those differences help me to enjoy each medium. I just really enjoyed Compendium Two, and how the characters are growing and changing, and hardening to the world they live in.
There were some gasp-worthy moments, cringe-worthy moments, tear-inducing moments, and every other kind of moment that makes The Walking Dead what it is. Just a great comic series that inspired a great TV show. 
This volume had me liking characters I'd felt ambivalent about before, like Michonne and Andrea. It also had me realizing that zombies aren't the real enemies or monsters, it's the other survivors. 
Just a great story and I can't wait to read more of it. The only thing I do wonder is if Kirkman will ever end it, or will he stretch it on forever.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 5/5
I Love The Walking Dead! I wonder who's going to die next.

No comments:

Post a Comment