Thursday, December 15, 2016

Review: London Eye (Toxic City #1) by Tim Lebbon


Title: London Eye (Toxic City #1)
Author: Tim Lebbon
Published by: PYR
Released: 2012
Source: Library

Summary: In the year 2017, London was hit by a terrorist attack. An agent was released on the populace, and no one was allowed to go in or out of the city. Two years later, London is still sealed off, and nobody knows what happened to the people who were in the city that day. There are rumors of massive casualties and victims turning into inhuman mutants.
Jack, Sparky, Jenny, and Lucy-Anne were all impacted by that fateful day. Sparky, Lucy-Anne, and Jack all had family in London that day, that they've never heard from since. 
This group of friends is determined to enter the Toxic City, but they might not like everything they find there.
My Thoughts: Quite an enjoyable and intriguing book. I really loved the atmosphere of Toxic City London. Buildings being taken over by nature and the general emptiness of it all. I also really enjoyed the concept of these survivors of the Doomsday Attack changing and developing mutant powers from this drug called Evolve.
My only problem with this book is that it really didn't have enough backstory or character development. I didn't feel that I really knew the characters at first, they were sort of distant from me. I also really didn't like Lucy-Anne. She just annoyed me. When you go into a dangerous city, the smart thing to do is keep your head down and assess the situation, not flip out, and go running and screaming around the city like an idiot. I also hated how she just left her "friends" in the dust. Just how quickly she threw them away.
As for the backstory, I just wanted a better understanding of what led up to this new London. There were really interesting blurbs at the beginnings of each chapter, containing news stories on the day of the attack, I would have loved those little blurbs, and more, to be combined into a prologue or something. I also would have really liked to have seen the friendship development.
I really did enjoy this story. It had a great, cinematic feel to it that would be perfect for a television show or movie. And the ending was very intriguing. I now have to read on to find out what happens next.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 3.5/5
Awesome Cinematic Feel. Make this into a show pronto!

No comments:

Post a Comment