Thursday, December 29, 2016

Review: Unhinged (Splintered #2) by A.G. Howard


Title: Unhinged (Splintered #2)
Author: A.G. Howard
Published by: Amulet Books
Released: 2014
Source: Library

Summary: Alyssa chose the Human Realm over Wonderland after her escapades there the past year. She's embraced her human life, cherishes the time she has with her parents, and eagerly awaits her boyfriend Jeb coming home from London. 
Then, an electric blue moth comes to visit. Morpheus says Alyssa must come back to Wonderland because it is in chaos. Queen Red has escaped her cemetery prison, and is out to get revenge against Alyssa. Does Alyssa let Wonderland heal itself, or should she save it? She'll have to decide who she wants to be and where she belongs.
My Thoughts: Now, I must admit that I wasn't in love with Splintered, the first book, when I read it. I really struggled with the whole Wonderland world and the sensory overload of weirdness that it was. I'm sad to say that I wasn't the biggest fan of Unhinged either. I kind of felt like this book was pointless in relation to furthering the series. Nothing really happened overall. All it was was Alyssa struggling between Wonderland and the Human Realm, and never really deciding until the very end. I mean, I didn't hate the book, I just really questioned the point of it. Sure Alyssa found out some secrets about her family, but not enough secrets to fill a 380+ page book.
I also got really tired of Alyssa's jealousy in this book. The love triangle really irritated me too. In Splintered, I shipped Alyssa with Jeb. In Unhinged, I really didn't care if Alyssa ended up with either, just because she annoyed me so much. I mean, I'll always choose Jeb over Morpheus, just because I do not like that moth boy.
I do not get the appeal of Morpheus. It always seems like he's the cause of Alyssa's problems. He's manipulative, using people to get what he wants, no matter the consequences. He also doesn't do a good job of telling the truth. I don't think I can ever ship him with Alyssa, just because of how much I despise him.
The ending was also a little irritating, in that it wasn't one. Just a big old, What The Heck! cliffhanger that drove me mad!
I know this is pretty much a negative review, but it's just what I honestly thought of the book. I don't think this will ever be my favorite series, but because of the way I know I am, I know I have to read all the books in the series. I don't think the writing is bad, I'm just not a fan of the crazy Wonderland and some of the characters. I really did feel like this was just an unneeded book. Nothing overall really happened. We'll see what happens in the third book.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 3/5
A Whole Bunch of Nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment