Monday, September 24, 2018

Review: Rat Queens, Volume 1: Sass and Sorcery by Kurtis J. Wiebe and Roc Upchurch


Title: Rat Queens, Volume 1: Sass and Sorcery
Story by: Kurtis J. Wiebe
Art by: Roc Upchurch
Letters by: Ed Brisson
Edits by: Laura Tavishati
Published by: Image Comics
Released: 2015

Summary: Who are the Rat Queens? 

They're a pack of booze-guzzling, death-dealing battle maidens-for-hire and they're in the business of killing all the god's creatures for profit. Meet Hannah the Rockabilly Elven Mage, Violet the Hipster Dwarven Fighter, Dee the Atheist Human Cleric and Betty the Hippy Smidgen Thief. 

This modern spin on an old school genre is a violent, monster-killing epic that is like Buffy meets Tank Girl in a Lord of the Rings world on crack! 
Collecting Rat Queens #1-5! (Synopsis From Goodreads )

My Thoughts: I've heard about this comic series for a while and I finally decided to give it a read. It was good! I really did enjoy it. It was fun, full of adventure, and sassiness. I really liked the art style and colors. It was really good art. If a comic is visually pleasing to look it, I'm definitely going to enjoy it more.
This kind of reminded me in a way of the I Hate Fairyland comics. I couldn't tell you which came out first, but they kind of had a similar kind of vibe. The characters in both worlds tend to destroy a lot of stuff on their adventures.
I enjoyed the whole mercenary vibe of the Rat Queens. I also liked how Rat Queens had a continuous story flow to it. I come across some comics that have episodes that don't really seem to connect, so I appreciate when a comic has a beginning, middle, and an end.
I'm definitely interested in reading more of this comic series. I won't say I'm on the hype train for it yet, but I definitely did enjoy it. I also wonder what else is going to happen with Royal Guard Sawyer. He's cute. It seems so many cute guys share the name Sawyer. Right? Right.
So yes, continuing with Rat Queens is definitely in the cards for me.

BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 4/5
Sassy and Good!

No comments:

Post a Comment