Thursday, September 6, 2018

Review: Sadie by Courtney Summers


Title: Sadie 
Author: Courtney Summers
Published by: Wednesday Books
 Released: September 4, 2018
Source: Review ARC from Publisher/Won from GoodReads FirstReads and Wednesday Books

Summary: Sadie hasn't had an easy life. Growing up on her own, she's been raising her sister Mattie in an isolated small town, trying her best to provide a normal life and keep their heads above water. 

But when Mattie is found dead, Sadie's entire world crumbles. After a somewhat botched police investigation, Sadie is determined to bring her sister's killer to justice and hits the road following a few meagre clues to find him.
When West McCray—a radio personality working on a segment about small, forgotten towns in America—overhears Sadie's story at a local gas station, he becomes obsessed with finding the missing girl. He starts his own podcast as he tracks Sadie's journey, trying to figure out what happened, hoping to find her before it's too late. (Synopsis from Goodreads).

My Thoughts: I was so excited when I won an arc of this through Goodreads FirstReads and Wednesday Books! I want to thank Wednesday Books for letting me read it early for honest review. It's the best feeling to win a book. And thanks to Goodreads FirstReads for being awesome and letting me enter alllll the giveaways.
This is not my first Courtney Summers' book, I've read another by her before and really enjoyed it. Her work always seems to be intense, dark, and dealing with difficult subject matter. I really enjoy her stuff and plan to read more of it. Sadie was an awesome ride of a book. I loved it. I was hooked from page one and was racing to the end to find out what happened.
Sadie is a daaaaaark book. There is definitely trigger warnings in this, so don't say I didn't warn you. If you can be okay reading a dark subject matter, GET THIS! I was mesmerized. There was something so compelling about it, it had that quality where I couldn't look away.
I really enjoyed the format it was told in. It switched from Podcast to Sadie's POV. The Podcast is taking place after the fact, while Sadie's story is going along as it happens. I really think the Podcast format made for really fun reading, it added something, it wasn't just a gimmick. It was so fast too. I'd find myself finishing one of Sadie's chapters and reading as fast as I could so I could see what was happening to her next. It was very dark, very tense, very hopeless, but I was hooked.
I do love myself some true crime. I love watching Dateline, Cold Case Files, Making A Murderer and other shows like that. They are dark and disturbing, but there's something so compelling about them. It just makes you question how can people be so awful? What makes someone commit these crimes? The Podcast element was really fun to immerse myself in. And FYI, if you google Sadie by Courtney Summers Podcast, you're able to listen to the first couple episodes of the podcast straight as it's written in the book. ( Link to First Podcast Episode ) I'm not an audiobook person, so the actual audio podcast didn't really do anything for me, but I know there are people out there who love podcasts. The Sadie Podcast has a full cast, so if you're into those, go check it out.
Sadie was such a tragic character. Her motivation through the whole story was revenge. You could feel that that was all she was living for. She didn't care about herself, her whole goal was to get the person that murdered her sister. She pursued that goal at the cost of everything else. She didn't eat, she didn't sleep, and she genuinely seemed unwell. I was worried for her. Sadie is super interesting to follow and I just couldn't look away.
The ending though, I still have feelings about that ending. The ending is left open, without a definite resolution for the reader. Those endings sometimes mess with me because I like having the answers of what happened. I have my suspicions. After I turned the last page of Sadie, it was like she wouldn't leave me. I thought about her for a while, I thought about her whole journey after that last page was turned. It left an impact.
I'd definitely recommend picking Sadie up and giving it a read. It's not a happy story filled with sunshine and rainbows, but it's very compelling. It's dark, shocking, and I just can't get it out of my head. I'm shook.

BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 4.5/5
I'm still in shock.

No comments:

Post a Comment