Wednesday, January 9, 2019

December 2018 Wrap-Up!

A belated December 2018 Wrap-Up. I'm thinking about doing my favorite books of 2018 too, but it would be sometime a little later. 
My reading in December was slower than I wanted. I think the Holidays and stress of that impacted my reading. I did pull through at the end of the month and had a decent number of books read. I read seven books in December, which brought my grand total to 77 books read in 2018. Not the best I've done on the Yearly Reading Challenge, but it wasn't awful. One year, I would love to say I've read 100 books, but 2018 was not that year.

  
  


-- Forest of a Thousand Lanterns by Julie C. Dao: I found this to be kind of boring. I didn't hate it, I didn't love it. I also read this slower and I think that was just because there wasn't a lot of action within the pages. It's an Asian re-imagining of the Evil Queen from Snow White and how she came to be that way. It was a villain origin story and I had no trouble seeing how she became a villain. The main character wasn't my fave. She wasn't very nice and it was alllll about how pretty she was. It's like that beauty was all she had going for her and she was going to protect it at all costs. I'm probably going to read the sequel, not because I loved the first book, but just so I can see what happens.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 3.3/5

-- The Dark Intercept (#1) by Julia Keller: This was an okay read. It reminded me a lot of the show Person of Interest but instead of the all-seeing machine spying on everyone, this technology used emotions and memories as deterrents for crimes. If you commit a crime, your brain would be bombarded with your worst memory and incapacitate you. It was interesting. I do feel that everything wrapped up a little too smoothly in the end. I got the sequel as an arc free for review from the publisher, so I'm interested to read that to see where everything goes.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 3.5/5

-- The Wicked Deep by Shea Ernshaw: Enjoyable, but nothing that will really stick with me. It did have a bit of a Hocus Pocus vibe which was cool. It had a nice twist. I did think the main character could be very selfish and not fair to other people.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 4/5

-- Bird Box by Josh Malerman: I wanted to read this before I watched the Netflix adaptation. I liked it. It didn't scare the socks off of me, but I did find it a kind of scary concept for a post apocalyptic world. Sight is important.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 4/5

-- Black Hammer, Volume 1: Secret Origins by Jeff Lemire, Dean Ormston, Dave Steward, Todd Klein: I liked this one more than I thought I would. It's an interesting start to the series and I'm curious to know more.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 4/5

-- Unaccompanied Minor (#1) by Hollis Gillespie: This was a little hidden gem of a book. I wasn't expecting that much from this one, but I really did enjoy it. The main character is something else. She is one of the most annoying, long-winded teenagers I've met, but I kind of like her. She's funny. This book was funny. I really enjoyed it.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 4/5

-- Serenity, Firefly Class 03-K64: No Power in the 'Verse by Chris Roberson, Georges Jeanty, Stephen Byrne, Dan Dos Santos: I've already posted my review for this one, so you know my thoughts on it. I was disappointed. I wanted to love it so much more than I did. I love Firefly. The art just didn't please me and I didn't like what was happening in the story. The only thing that saved it was the story included at the end, which was beautiful.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 3.5/5

FAVORITE BOOK OF THE MONTH:



That was my Reading Month for December 2018. It wasn't bad. Did you read anything good? Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment