Thursday, January 10, 2019

Review: Promises I Made (#2) by Michelle Zink


Title: Promises I Made (#2)
Author: Michelle Zink
Published by: HarperTeen
Released: 2015
Source: Library

Synopsis: Grace Fontaine was trained to carry out perfect crimes. But when a mistake was made the night her family tried to execute their biggest heist yet, her world fell apart. Now her brother is in jail, her mother has disappeared with the entire stolen fortune, and her father is determined to find a new mark, no matter the cost. 

Haunted by the way she betrayed her friends—and Logan, the only boy she’s ever loved—as well as the role she played in her brother’s arrest, Grace decides she must return to the place every thief knows you should avoid: the scene of the crime. 
Returning to Playa Hermosa as a wanted criminal is dangerous. But Grace has only one chance to make things right. To do it, she has to use everything she’s been taught about the art of the con to hunt down the very people who trained her: the only family she’s ever known. (Synopsis From Goodreads)

My Thoughts: Yayy for First Book Read of 2019! And Double Yayy because this also finishes a series, technically a duology, but still I finished something I started.
I enjoyed this. I enjoyed the first book when I read it. I won't say it was anything spectacular, but it was interesting. It centers on a family of grifters, con-artists who move to different places and target a rich person or family to steal from. Grace and Parker were adopted by Cormac and Renee for help with the cons. Teens are able to get into places where the two adults would have trouble. In the first book, Grace helped her family con a boy named Logan, and during the con, she fell for him. The heist went all wrong, with someone getting caught and someone taking off with all the money. The remaining members of Grace's "family" are now in crisis mode.
In this sequel, Grace returns to the scene of the crime to rescue her family member that got caught, but getting someone out of prison is hard. I feel like that's all I can say without spoiling anything.
I thought this was all right, I liked it. Grace is on the run through pretty much the whole book, she's laying low. It's a very interesting subject matter, but in reality, it doesn't make for a lot of action in the book. She's hiding, she's trying to find leads, she's always on alert looking over her shoulder, and she's trying to free the one person she cares about the most. Luckily she gets some help.
I'm glad I got to see how Grace's story played out. I really enjoyed the subject matter of the book, the conflict that Grace goes through because of her lifestyle. Her "parents" are selfish people and I felt bad for Grace. She wants so bad for a real family and these people are just using her to steal. The book also brings up the part Grace plays in the cons, and just what all she's guilty for. I did enjoy how it all ended too. It was a good ending.
I'd definitely recommend this series for people interested in Con Artists and Grifters. It presents an interesting type of life.

BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 3.5/5
A Nice Ending

No comments:

Post a Comment