Monday, January 7, 2019

Review: Serenity Firefly Class 03-K64: No Power In the 'Verse by Chris Roberson, Georges Jeanty, and Stephen Byrne


Title: Serenity Firefly Class 03-K64: No Power In the 'Verse
Created by: Chris Roberson, Georges Jeanty, Stephen Byrne
Executive Producer: Joss Whedon
Front Cover and Chapter Break Art: Dan Dos Santos
Published by: Dark Horse Books
Released: 2016
Source: Library

Synopsis: Tough times haven't ended for Mal Reynolds and his crew aboard the Serenity. When a call for help to find a missing friend takes them to an Alliance post on the Outer Rim, they encounter a new force building strength to fight the battle of the Browncoats--soon leading the crewmembers to question their individual values . . . Discovering that their friend is in Alliance custody and that an Alliance Operative is on the way, Mal concentrates his energy on the problem at hand and strikes an uneasy partnership for a daring rescue. But this is only the beginning of the story. Success will be when the Serenity's crew makes it off this planet alive and all accounted for . . .


Georges Jeanty (Buffy Season 8, Season 9, Serenity) returns to the 'verse!

iZombie creator Chris Roberson writes the continuing adventures of Mal and the crew.

Follows the film Serenity, and the comics series Serenity: Leaves on the Wind.

Executive Producer Joss Whedon!
Collects: Serenity No Power in the 'Verse #1-6, and Free Comic Book Day 2016 "Serenity: The Warrior and the Wind" (Synopsis from Goodreads)

My Thoughts: I love Firefly, but I was a little disappointed by this comic. It just wasn't everything I wanted it to be. No offense to the main artist, but the art really didn't capture the characters very well. I really noticed it with all the girls, they didn't look like them. The worst capture was probably River, followed by Kaylee, and Inara. Even Zoe didn't look exactly right. Mal 10% of the time looked like himself, the other 90% was just weak, it just wasn't even close for most of the characters. I'm not saying the artist was bad, but he did not capture these iconic characters for me. Other comics in this series have done a much better job of making the Firefly crew look like the Firefly crew.
The overall story was just kind of meh too. It seemed like everybody was mad at one another. All the relationships were going through turmoil. It just wasn't a happy time on the ship, they didn't feel like the family they are.
I've also heard that there will be no more comics in this series after this. I think it'd been bought out by someone else. So there will be no continuation to this story arc, and this Volume ends on a cliffhanger/call to action note.
The only thing that saved this for me was the addition of The Warrior and the Wind, which was a little bonus story at the end. It was beautiful. It gave me all the feels. I liked the art style of it. It was River telling a fairytale to Zoe's baby about how Zoe and Wash met, and just Wash's legacy. It was the best thing out of the whole Volume.
I love Firefly, but I just felt very meh about this Volume in the series. It didn't give me that feeling that I wanted and the visuals weren't up to par for me.

BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 3.5/5
Not as Shiny as I wanted it to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment