Monday, July 29, 2019

Review: Honor Bound (The Honors #2) by Rachel Caine and Ann Aguirre


Title: Honor Bound (The Honors #2)
Authors: Rachel Caine and Ann Aguirre
Published by: Katherine Tegen Books
Released: 2019
Source: Library

Synopsis: Zara Cole was a thief back on Earth, but she’s been recently upgraded to intergalactic fugitive. On the run after a bloody battle in a covert war that she never expected to be fighting, Zara, her co-pilot Beatriz, and their Leviathan ship Nadim barely escaped the carnage with their lives. Now Zara and her crew of Honors need a safe haven, far from the creatures who want to annihilate them. But with two wounded Leviathan to treat, plus human and non-human refugees to help, they’ll have to settle for the nearest outpost, called the Sliver: a wild, dangerous warren of alien criminals. Zara’s skills from the Zone may be invaluable. However, Zara discovers that the secrets of the Sliver may have the power to turn the tide of the war they left behind—but in the wrong direction. Soon Zara will have to make a choice: stand against the ultimate evil or run from it. But she’s never walked away from a fight.
Honor Bound is the second installment in Rachel Caine and Ann Aguirre’s thrilling and fresh space saga. (Synopsis from Goodreads)

My Thoughts: I am so confused and mixed on this series. There are some things that I just can't, nope, ugh, why?? Does it have its good parts? Yes, but the parts that I don't like are so glaring that they kind of take over, and it's all I can think about when I think about this series.
Now, you might be asking, if you don't like this series, then why did you read the sequel? Was it just to hate on it? But that's the thing, I don't hate it. I really like the sci-fi aspects to it. Honor Bound had a lot of fun, sci-fi adventure in its pages. We had a bunch of alien species, a somewhat shady space establishment called the Sliver, (which I read as the Silver for maybe over half the time they were there without noticing ha) and a lot of spacey space adventures. It was a very fast read too, I could get sucked in and just read big chunks at a time. The writing is also really good. Aguirre and Caine make a good team.
So my issues with this book center strictly on the relationship bonding crap pile. I think it is the most dumb, weird, cringe thing I have ever read. I just can't. I'm never going to buy into this relationship between a gigantic alien whale ship and the human that rides inside him. I think it's made even weirder by how sexual the authors' write it. I roll my eyes everytime they join and become Zadim *barf*. And then they decide to include a threesome of some weird kind. It's stupid.
I'm also not the biggest fan of Zara as a character. I think she has a lot of swagger and cockiness, and it just seems so forced. I don't buy it. She's too cool for school and she doesn't feel like an authentic character to me. It's like someone putting on a bad act.
I was also a little irritated by how Honor Bound  ended, in that it DIDN'T. It wasn't even a cliffhanger, it was an end right in the middle of a scene. That's annoying. And I'm also not sure of how I feel of the clues they were giving out of who might come to play in the next one. Seems like a problem that should have just stayed on Earth and been forgotten.
It's also very overdramatic in a lot of its scenes, which can make it like a baaaad soap opera.
I am so perplexed about this series. I'll probably read the next book just because I'm curious as to how everything will turn out. If this book hadn't had that stupid relationship, I probably would really like it, but the sexual bonding makes it dumb and I can't.

BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 3.4/5
I am so confused by this series. What is this??

No comments:

Post a Comment