Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Review: Bite (The Wastelanders #1) by K.S. Merbeth


Title: Bite (The Wastelanders #1)
Author: K.S. Merbeth
Published by: Orbit
Released: 2016
Source: Library
Audience Level: I'd say Adult. Lot's of killing, cussing, and mayhem

Synopsis: Welcome to the Wasteland, a post-apocalyptic world where lawlessness reigns, and around every bend is another pack of bloodthirsty raiders. 
Kid is trying to survive in a world gone mad. 
Hungry, thirsty and alone in a desert wasteland, she's picked up on the side of the road by Wolf, Dolly, Tank and Pretty Boy - outlaws with big reputations and even bigger guns.
But as they journey across the wild together, Kid learns that her newfound crew may not be the heroes she was hoping for. And in a world that's lost its humanity, everyone has a bit of monster within them...
For more from K. S. Merbeth, check out:Raid 
The Wastelanders (Omnibus edition)  (Synopsis from Goodreads)

My Thoughts: In all my life, I have never ever rooted for cannibals, and then this book happened. It was a madcap, post-apocalyptic wasteland adventure. It was bloody, gross, violent, and a whole lot of fun. Wolf, Tank, Pretty Boy, Dolly, and Kid are a ragtag team that I'm rooting for, even when they are killing literally everyone in their path just because. They aren't really the good guys, but in a way, I want them to win.
Bite is written in such a fun, strange way. It's got a very dark sense of humor to it. It is a strange story. It is violent and crazy. It was quite a ride.
I really did enjoy the band of characters. The reader never gets to really know that much about them. We get some backstory for Kid, Dolly, Pretty Boy, and Tank, but Wolf remains a mystery. We never even get to learn their real names. I enjoyed their camaraderie. I loved how wherever they went, there was really no plan. It was just run straight in and shoot stuff.
I enjoyed the ambience of the story. The setting of this post-apocalyptic desert that just goes on and on for miles. It nailed it on that desolate feeling.
I had a lot of fun reading Bite. I can't say that I enjoyed the cannibalism because that's just disgusting, but everything else was a lot of fun. I'm planning to jump right in to the next book Raid, and I fully intend on checking more stuff out by K.S. Merbeth.

BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 4/5
Whoa Nelly!!

No comments:

Post a Comment