Monday, October 21, 2019

Review: The Last Time I Lied by Riley Sager


Title: The Last Time I Lied
Author: Riley Sager
Published by: DUTTON
Released: 2018
Source: Library

Synopsis: Two Truths and a Lie. The girls played it all the time in their tiny cabin at Camp Nightingale. Vivian, Natalie, Allison, and first-time camper Emma Davis, the youngest of the group. The games ended when Emma sleepily watched the others sneak out of the cabin in the dead of night. The last she—or anyone—saw of them was Vivian closing the cabin door behind her, hushing Emma with a finger pressed to her lips.
Now a rising star in the New York art scene, Emma turns her past into paintings—massive canvases filled with dark leaves and gnarled branches that cover ghostly shapes in white dresses. The paintings catch the attention of Francesca Harris-White, the socialite and wealthy owner of Camp Nightingale. When Francesca implores her to return to the newly reopened camp as a painting instructor, Emma sees an opportunity to try to find out what really happened to her friends.
Yet it's immediately clear that all is not right at Camp Nightingale. Already haunted by memories from fifteen years ago, Emma discovers a security camera pointed directly at her cabin, mounting mistrust from Francesca and, most disturbing of all, cryptic clues Vivian left behind about the camp's twisted origins. As she digs deeper, Emma finds herself sorting through lies from the past while facing threats from both man and nature in the present.
And the closer she gets to the truth about Camp Nightingale, the more she realizes it may come at a deadly price. (Synopsis from Goodreads)

My Thoughts: Wow wow wow. This was my second Riley Sager book and it was great! I read Lock Every Door a couple of months ago, and decided that Sager was an author that I would probably read everything from, or at least try to. I'm going in backwards order with his books, from newest to oldest, for no real reason. 
The Last Time I Lied was soooo good!! I was hooked from the first page. I had no idea where things were going to go, how it was all going to turn out, or what the ending would be. I was so immersed in the mystery of it all. It was one crazy ride. A great thriller. A perfect Halloween read. I just enjoyed every minute of it.
The mystery aspect of it always kept me on my toes. I didn't know what to expect. I really wasn't able to predict anything, but that's probably because I'm just not a good detective. Emma's story was so fascinating. I just couldn't look away from it.
It was such a fast book. The reveals and the suspense just kept up non-stop. Boom Boom Boom. I loved the summer camp setting of it. That was really fun. I also loved how the camp was really isolated from everything. It added that extra layer of eerie.
One thing that weirded me out a little was the age difference between Emma and Theo. She was 13, he was 19 (in the past sections). I almost wish Emma had been a little older and Theo had been a little younger. I can see how a 13 year old would have a crush on a 19 year old. It never really crossed the line into icky, but it could have. Also, I do wonder how they can remember each other so well when it was just one summer, and really only a couple of weeks. Maybe that's just me though.
The ending. I don't even know what to do with myself with that ending. My main question is How?
I'm definitely going to continue on my Riley Sager journey. I'm gonna need all his thrillers. I heard tales of an announcement for a new one next summer. Riley Sager's thrillers are a good time and I'd definitely recommend giving them a read.

BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 4.5/5
What A Ride

No comments:

Post a Comment