Friday, February 12, 2016

Reading Right Now! (#52)

What I'm Reading Right Now! is something different, FINALLY! I finished Maplecroft by Cherie Priest, which I thought was never going to end. I felt a real sense of success when I was able to turn the last page. I've kind of given up on Nowhere But Here by Katie McGarry at the moment, but I'll definitely get back to it sometime. Now onto the books that I'm currently reading!

Title: Tattooed As Trouble (Apparently this is the third book in a series, but I don't think it's one of those series that depends on you having read the previous books.)
Author: J.L. Hammer
I'm about 34% through this one.

This is my Netgalley read for the week. Thank you Netgalley and Entangled LLC, for not denying me right off the bat. I really do want to try and get my review rating up to a decent number. Hopefully, maybe. This is about a girl named Reagan, who while helping her brother commit a crime, witnesses a murder. The murder involves a prominent (now outed as dirty) judge and a pretty vicious street gang. Reagan is put into the witness protection program while she waits to testify for trial. Of course one of the U.S. Marshals guarding her is ridiculously good looking and romance ensues.
So far, it's an alright read. The romance aspect comes about pretty quick, which isn't necessarily the most believeable. It's told in dual perspectives from Reagan's voice and the Marshal's. Hopefully I finish it pretty soon so I can get the review up.


Title: The Devouring (The Devouring #1)
Author: Simon Holt
I'm about 43% of the way through this one and it is great!

I'd heard about The Devouring series on youtube/booktube quite a while back. One of the booktubers I enjoy watching, Sue from SueMoro or now Sue'sBookNook, read it and really enjoyed it. She commented on how creepy and scary it was. I can definitely agree.
This book is about a girl named Regina who finds this old, handwritten diary detailing the horrors of the Vours. These creatures come out on the winter solistice, the longest night of the year, and invade peoples' bodies when they are most afraid. Once the Vours take you over, your body is the same, but your soul is gone. One day, Regina notices that her little brother Henry has been changed. It seems that the Vours have got him!
This kind of reminds me a little of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. We've got main girl Regina, who has to save her little brother. Her trusty sidekick/friend Aaron. And an older mentor who knows a lot about the arcane and magic, Eben. And this is legitmately scary, which is so hard to find done really well in YA. I'm definitely flying through this and can't wait to continue with the series.


Title: Steampunk II: Steampunk Reloaded
Edited by: Ann and Jeff Vandermeer
This is an anthology, so I'm slowly going through this story by story.

I really enjoy Steampunk and happened to find this at my local library. It's an anthology of steampunk tales told by a variety of authors. I've only read 1 and 1/2 of the stories so far and I'm kind of meh about it right now. The book is really kind of pretty though. There are all these illustrations in the pages. It does kind of read like a college literature textbook though. It's a little dull, I won't lie. I haven't come across a really fun, steampunk story yet.

So that's what I'm Reading Right Now! Tell me what you are reading in the comments below.



No comments:

Post a Comment