Wednesday, July 5, 2017

June 2017 Wrap-Up!

Here's everything I consumed in June 2017! I read 7 books, which I'm okay with. And I watched some stuff. So, here we go!!!

THE BOOKS
  
  
 

-- The Secret History of Twin Peaks (#1) by Mark Frost-- 4/5 -- Really enjoyed this! I loved the format of the book. I love books that are told through different, creative storytelling means. I started watching the show while reading this book, and am really enjoying that as well. The book is a conspiracy theorist's dream. It does contain spoilers for the show though. One difference I'm noting between the book and show, is the show contains much more wacky, weird humor, which I'm a definite fan of! 

--Arata: The Legend, Volume 5 by Yuu Watase-- 3.7/5 -- I liked this Volume. I still don't think it's my favorite series by Yuu Watase, but it is still enjoyable. I enjoyed this one because we got more from past Arata stuck in present, who I like. There was also a pretty crazy ending to this. I need the next Volume to find out what happens.

--The Spellman Files (#1) by Lisa Lutz-- 3.3/5 -- I won't lie, I was a little disappointed in reading this. Not that it was bad, just that it wasn't exactly what I wanted, or expected. The beginning was confusing in how it kept switching what time period we were in. I also feel like it took a little time to get into the actual story, the actual plot. I didn't hate it. I'm still going to read more of this series, but it just wasn't what I really wanted.

--American Gods by Neil Gaiman-- 4/5 -- Finally read this one! My first Neil Gaiman ever! I really liked the writing and Shadow Moon. I did think this story was suuuper weird though. I'm excited to read more by Neil Gaiman.

--Sweet Tooth, Volume 1: Out of the Deep Woods (Issues #1-5) by Jeff Lemire, Jose Villarrubia, Pat Brosseau-- 3.3/5 -- Another one that I'm mixed on. The story was super sad. Tragic. I also am not the biggest fan of the art style. Still excited to see what happens next in the series, but I do think more bad things are going to happen in the next volume. Just a feeling I have.

--Nemesis (#1) by Anna Banks-- 3.7/5 -- This one was surprising in a good way! I liked it more than I was expecting too. The beginning of the book was a little rough, but once it got past that, it was pretty good. I liked the main character Sepora. She was kind of wacky in how she went about things, which was entertaining. I will say, the romance became a little gag inducing as it went on. Just a little too heavy on the mushy gushy. I'm excited though to check out the sequel!

--The Blair Witch Project: A Dossier by D.A. Stern-- 3.5/5-- Another fun read! This book is another one that is told through a different format, still loving it! I enjoyed the story. I've watched The Blair Witch Project movie, and while it wasn't my favorite, I still kind of liked it. The book didn't really answer any questions that the movie left open, which I was expecting, but I still wanted answers too. I also found some parts a little creepy/scary. Maybe I just have an overactive imagination, especially when it's dark and I live very near woods, but still, it creeped me out a little.

THE TV/MOVIES
 

-- The 100: Season 4 -- Okay, yes. I might have binged the whole of Season 4 on Netflix just weeks after watching it on TV. I admit that it's shameful, but, I mean, I LOVE THIS SHOW!!!! It was just as good the second time, thanks for asking. I also think I'm finally getting over my show hangover after that season finale. I still need Season 5 like right now though!

-- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them -- I finally watched this movie. I know. There was a big part of me that wasn't really excited when this movie was announced or came out. Just thinking of a 4 to however many movies series, based on what is essentially a short school textbook, just felt like the biggest money grab to me. I mean, it still feels like a money grab. I watched the movie though, and it was really good! I liked it a lot!
I'm still mixed on how the Harry Potter franchise has been stretched, manipulated, changed. It feels like a lot of things are being released, and they just feel like ways to make money. I'm not fangirling over a lot of the stuff that's being released. It's also probably not a good idea that I follow J.K. Rowling on Twitter, her tweets mainly just irritate me. That's why it's better, at least for me, to have the author of books I read to just be this name on a page. I don't want to know about them, except for what it says in the author bio. I don't want to know them as people. I especially don't want to know what their political stance is. Moral of the story, Don't Follow J.K. Rowling on Twitter, it's a bad idea.
I still love Harry Potter though, don't get me wrong. Proud Slytherin over here!

And that's my June 2017 Wrap-Up! The year is now half over, how did that happen? Now, onto July!!

No comments:

Post a Comment