Thursday, July 13, 2017

Review: Gotham Academy, Volume 2: Calamity by Becky Cloonan and Brenden Fletcher


Title: Gotham Academy, Volume 2: Calamity (Issues #7-12)
Written by: Becky Cloonan and Brenden Fletcher
Art by: Karl Kerschl, Mingjue Helen Chen, and Msassyk
Published by: DC Comics
Released: 2016
Source: Library

Summary: Classes are back in session at Gotham Academy! Olive and the gang have new mysteries to solve. Olive is being haunted by some type of specter invoking feelings from her past. There is also a werewolf running around campus that has to be caught. The mysteries get deeper and the stakes become higher in this Second Volume.
My Thoughts: I didn't like this Second Volume as much as I liked the First Volume. The First Volume, I felt, had more of a story to it. This Second Volume had a more episodic format. I was also pretty thrown off when I first started reading Calamity, because it didn't feel like the place I left off in in Welcome To Gotham Academy
I think part of my problem was they brought in new artists for the first (and maybe second) episode. It interrupted the flow for me. The first two episodes were also quite jarring. They seemed random, and a tad confusing.
As Calamity went on, I started to enjoy it more. A true story started to emerge, with a beginning, middle, and to be continued end.
One other thing I struggle with is, I don't know all the mythology and backstory surrounding Batman, Gotham City, and the villains. I wish everything was presented as if to a newbie.
Volume Two of Gotham Academy let me down a little. It wasn't as good as the First Volume. The art is still beautiful and the story is still interesting, so I'm not going to give up on reading it.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 3.2/5
I'm a little lost here.

No comments:

Post a Comment