Thursday, December 7, 2017

Review: Ghostly Echoes (Jackaby #3) by William Ritter


Title: Ghostly Echoes (Jackaby #3)
Author: William Ritter
Published by: Algonquin Young Readers
Released: 2016
Source: Library

Summary: Jenny is finally ready to solve her own murder. Things are happening in New Fiddleham, dark things. The past is close on its way to becoming present. Can Jackaby and Rook save the day? Or are the forces too dark and strong?
My Thoughts: Well, that was disappointing. I LOVED the first two books. I thought they were so fun, quirky, with really cool supernatural twists. All the things I loved about the first two books, this wasn't. I didn't hate Ghostly Echoes, but it wasn't what I was expecting, wasn't what I wanted. I wanted a book in the vein of the first two, not a book that took all the fun away.
My main problem with Ghostly Echoes was the humor was all gone. The lighthearted adventure aspect was gone. Jackaby was a lot less fun. The book was a lot less fun. Without the humor and lightheartedness, this series just turns into an average read. Since this third book decided to abandon the humor, it was just average. It wasn't as much fun to read, and because of that, I read it slower.
I also wasn't a fan of the beginning. It didn't do a good job of easing the reader in. It was a little jarring, because of that, it took me a little while to get into the story. 
The ending was also meh. There was no real closure, no feeling of having solved anything.
My last gripe was the character added/introduced for no other reason than to say, Look At My Diverse Character! The character wasn't really needed, and just felt so forced. The "help" they gave was unneeded. Jackaby could have figured it out without them there. I don't know if the author got flack for having a main white cast or what, or if that was even the reason, but that character was just wasted ink.
You might think I hate this book, but I don't. It was an okay book. I'm disappointed because it could have been an awesome book, if it had followed the path of the first two. It just wasn't the fun ride I was expecting and wanting. I'm a little leery of what the last book is going to be. I hope it's awesome, but if it is like this third book, I don't know if it will be. I definitely recommend reading the first two books, (Jackaby and Beastly Bones) because they are a lot of fun! This third one is just meh. 
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 3.5/5
Disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment