Monday, February 25, 2019

Review: Disney Manga: Pirates of the Caribbean - Jack Sparrow's Adventures by Rob Kidd and Kabocha


Title: Disney Manga: Pirates of the Caribbean - Jack Sparrow's Adventures
Story by: Rob Kidd
Art by: Kabocha
Published by: TokyoPop
Released: February 26, 2019
Source: ARC from Publisher via Netgalley

Synopsis: Embark on an adventure filled with dreams, desires, and epic battles surrounding the mysterious Sword of Cortes, a mystical weapon said to grant the wishes of whomever holds it. Throughout history, this powerful sword has allegedly been responsible for many bouts of good fortune -- and unimaginable tragedies. With no crew at his command, Jack Sparrow sets off on his own to make a name for himself and take the legendary sword and scabbard of Cortes! (Synopsis from Goodreads)

My Thoughts: Thank you so much to Disney and TokyoPop for letting me read and review an early copy of this manga.
I'm a big fan of Pirates of the Caribbean. It started a love of pirates for me. The plunder, the treasure, the scoundrels. So I was excited for a manga version of a young Jack Sparrow. I was already familiar with the book series about young Jack Sparrow by Rob Kidd. 
This manga was okay. It was fun, fast, the art was pretty good.
It didn't really feel like Pirates of the Caribbean to me though. It just felt like a regular manga that could have been about anyone. It didn't scream Jack Sparrow to me. The Jack Sparrow character didn't feel like the Jack Sparrow I know and love. Unfortunately, this feels like just another way to cash in on the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise via manga form.
Don't get me wrong, it's a fun manga. It's got adventure and treasure hunting, it's just not Pirates of the Caribbean.
It reads more for a younger audience, although there are some art panels that maybe show some questionable parts when it comes to female anatomy.
I thought it was fun and I'm glad I got the chance to read it, but if you're a mega fan of Jack Sparrow, this manga really isn't going to fill that Captain Jack void.

BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 3.2/5
Not the Jack Sparrow I Was Expecting

No comments:

Post a Comment