Thursday, February 14, 2019

Review: Sparrow Hill Road (#1) by Seanan McGuire


Title: Sparrow Hill Road (#1)
Author: Seanan McGuire
Published by: DAW Books, Inc.
Released: 2014, 2018
Source: E-ARC from Netgalley and Publisher + Physical Copy from Library

Synopsis: Now in a new redesigned edition, featuring an updated introduction from the author and songs!

Rose Marshall died in 1952 in Buckley Township, Michigan, run off the road by a man named Bobby Cross--a man who had sold his soul to live forever, and intended to use her death to pay the price of his immortality. Trouble was, he didn't ask Rose what she thought of the idea.

It's been more than sixty years since that night, and she's still sixteen, and she's still running.

They have names for her all over the country: the Girl in the Diner. The Phantom Prom Date. The Girl in the Green Silk Gown. Mostly she just goes by "Rose," a hitchhiking ghost girl with her thumb out and her eyes fixed on the horizon, trying to outrace a man who never sleeps, never stops, and never gives up on the idea of claiming what's his. She's the angel of the overpass, she's the darling of the truck stops, and she's going to figure out a way to win her freedom. After all, it's not like it can kill her.
You can't kill what's already dead. (Synopsis from Goodreads)

My Thoughts: Thank you to the Publisher for allowing me to read an early copy for honest review through Netgalley!
The Adventures of a Ghost Girl, Rose Marshall, along the Twilight Road. She's a hitchhiking ghost forever Sweet 16, looking for a ride, a coat, and a malted milkshake.
I'm a fan of Seanan McGuire. She can write a good story. Sparrow Hill Road was a fun time.
It's composed of short stories all centering around the ghostly adventures of Rose Marshall. It introduces the ghost world and Twilight Road that Rose is stuck in. I really enjoyed it. Every story was good, there wasn't a bad one in the bunch. I was sucked into the world of Rose Marshall and I loved learning all about the ghost world and its rules. I saw in a review where someone compared it to Neil Gaiman's American Gods because it set up this mythology around the ghost world, and I'd definitely agree with that. The mythology of it all was just really fun to learn and get into.
I really liked the writing of it. Seanan McGuire knows how to write a story. I was sucked into all of them just curious to see what was going to happen to Rose next. 
If I had one criticism, it would be that this is a slower paced book. It took me longer to get through it than it usually does with other books. I think that's totally because of the format that it's told in. Because it's interwoven short stories, there are a lot of stops and starts. Just when you're sucked into a story, it ends, and then the whole process of starting over with a new one begins. I think I would have enjoyed it better if it had just been one continuous story.
I'd definitely recommend Sparrow Hill Road and I can't wait to get my hands on the sequel. I want to know more about Rose and what's going to happen with her next. I love the Ghost Mythology this book presented. It was a really fun read.

BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 4/5
A Ghostly Good Time

No comments:

Post a Comment