Monday, March 25, 2019

Review: Devils and Thieves (#1) by Jennifer Rush


Title: Devils & Thieves (#1)
Author: Jennifer Rush
Published by: Little, Brown and Company
Released: October 2017
Source: Library

Synopsis: Power corrupts. Magic kills.

Eighteen-year-old Jemmie Carmichael is surrounded by magic in the quiet town of Hawthorne, New York. In her world, magic users are called “kindled,” and Jemmie would count herself among them if only she could cast a simple spell without completely falling apart. It doesn't help that she was also recently snubbed by Crowe—the dangerous and enigmatic leader of Hawthorne’s kindled motorcycle gang, the Devils’ League.
When the entire kindled community rolls into Hawthorne for an annual festival, a rumor spreads that someone is practicing forbidden magic. Then people start to go missing. With threats closing in from every side, no one can be trusted. Jemmie and Crowe will have to put aside their tumultuous history to find their loved ones, and the only thing that might save them is the very flaw that keeps Jemmie from fully harnessing her magic. For all her years of feeling useless, Jemmie may just be the most powerful kindled of all. (Synopsis from Goodreads)

My Thoughts: I loved this!! A lot!! I was already a fan of Jennifer Rush thanks to her Altered Saga, which everyone should go read by the way, so I was really excited and interested in reading whatever she came out with next. I was not disappointed in the least by Devils & Thieves, it was great! Jennifer Rush has this writing style that I really enjoy, her books are filled with action and danger, and cute boys!
I really enjoyed the world of Devils & Thieves, the motorcycle gang mixed with magic was everything I didn't know I needed. I really liked how everyone had a different magical gift and it was passed through family lines. The magic consisted of really interesting and cool powers too, which was really fun to read. I will say that the way the magic was introduced and explained felt a little clunky. I really needed a graph or a chart that I could have looked at that explained what power did what. 
Jennifer Rush also does a fantastic job of writing swoon worthy boys. Surly Nick stole my heart in her Altered Saga and Devils & Thieves introduced me to Crowe. Crowe is a pretty boy, he's got that danger factor, and he's powerful. Crowe is also a man, not some 15 or 16 year old boy, which means I can think he's cute and not feel guilty about it.
I was sucked in pretty quickly to the story. It was fun, fast, full of action. The romantic tension was everything. It felt dark, gritty, dangerous, and I loved it all. I feel like Jennifer Rush should write some New Adult, I think she'd be great at it.
I liked Jemmie. I wish she had opened up to people sooner instead of hiding away and trying to self medicate. I could also understand why she felt so hurt when it came to Crowe.
That Ending! I need to know what happens next! I need more of this world. I need the sequel and I better get one. I loved Devils & Thieves and I think you should read it.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 4.2/5
Give Me More!!

No comments:

Post a Comment