Friday, August 28, 2020

Reading Right Now! (269)

What I'm Reading Right Now! is...



Five Midnights (#1) by Ann Davila Cardinal -- This is the sixth book I'm reading for my NEWTs Magical Readathon and the prompt was to pick a book you think will be impactful. This one is all about Puerto Rico and I think it works for being impactful. So this is a story about Lupe who goes to visit her family in Puerto Rico, her uncle is the chief of police, and she gets drawn into this mystery where a gang of childhood friends are dying in mysterious ways. Something is strange about the killings, it might just be a monster called El Cuco.
I'm enjoying this. I think the scares are pretty good, definitely unnerving. I like the writing style too, it has a quickness about it. I'm learning about Puerto Rico. It has a lot of drug use/references and it talks about how the recession has turned once nice neighborhoods into dangerous places.
I am a little scared that I won't be able to finish my NEWTs in time. I got stuck reading one book, which put me behind. My last challenge is to read a 450+ page book and I don't know if I can technically complete that in the days I have left. I'm still gonna read it though and I'll say that I completed my NEWTs anyway.

That's what I'm Reading Right Now! What are you reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment