Monday, August 10, 2020

Review: The October Faction, Volume 1 by Steve Niles and Damien Worm



Title: The October Faction, Volume 1
Author: Steve Niles
Illustrator: Damien Worm
Published by: IDW Publishing
Released: July 2015
Source: Library -- HOOPLA

Synopsis: The October Faction details the adventures of retired monster-hunter Frederick Allan and his family... which include a thrill-killer, a witch, and a warlock. Because sometimes crazy is the glue that binds a family together. (Synopsis from Goodreads)

My Thoughts: I really enjoyed the vibe of this comic. I love a spooky family, mysteries, and some macabre fun. This had some flavors of The Addams Family and The Munsters. My favorite part was probably the art style. It's very dark and murky, but nicely detailed. It was fun to read, and not exactly what I was expecting.
I watched the Netflix adaptation before reading the source material, and I don't really know what the show was doing. I do not understand why big changes happen when things get adapted, or why the change the whole flavor from the source material. There are similarities between the comic and the show, but there's a whole lot of differences. One of the big changes seems to be the overall set up. Our kids in the comic already know about the spooky stuff going on around them, while the kids in the show are oblivious to it all. I know I've only read the first Volume, but I think the comic wins over the show. I'm not terribly surprised the show didn't survive and go on.
I'm definitely interested in reading more of this. I really like the art style and I want to see what happens next.

BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 3.7/5
Spooky spooky.

No comments:

Post a Comment