Monday, May 25, 2015

Review: Jackaby (Jackaby #1) by William Ritter

Title: Jackaby (Jackaby #1)
Author: William Ritter
Published by: Algonquin Young Readers
Released: 2014
Summary: Abigail Rook longs for adventure. She has grown up with the tales of her father's grand adventures. Because she is a girl, Abigail is not allowed on any grand adventures. To remedy this fact, she takes off with her tuition money in search of a good adventure. She ends up defeated, on the shores of New Fiddleham, New England, broke and homeless, she's contemplating her next move. She then meets up with the strange character of R.F. Jackaby, an investigator of the supernatural. She becomes embroiled in the case of a supernatural killer as Jackaby's  maybe/trial run assistant. Abigail might just have found all the adventure she was searching for.
My Thoughts: I loved this one! It was so good, really funny, and very fast paced. It had an interesting cast of characters that I just enjoyed thoroughly. There are some books that you just know from the first page that they are going to be awesome, this book was one of those for me.
Jackaby was delightfully odd, but full of heart as well. His house is full of oddities too: a duck, a swamp, and a ghost are just some of the things residing there. Oh and I almost forgot the toad that doesn't like to be stared at. I enjoyed Abigail too. She manages to keep up with Jackaby. I also found the character of Charlie Cane adorable. I want him to be a part of the rest of the series. As soon as he was described, I liked him, I liked him a lot.
As far as the mystery went, I enjoyed it. I will say that I managed to guess correctly who the villain was, but not exactly what he was.
What makes this book so fun to read is the humor and the characters. I can't wait for the sequel, with more crazy cases and the dynamic duo of Abigail and Jackaby.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 4.5/5
Wonderfully odd, quirky, and funny!

No comments:

Post a Comment