Monday, May 20, 2019

Review: Borderline (The Arcadia Project #1) by Mishell Baker


Title: Borderline (The Arcadia Project #1)
Author: Mishell Baker
Published by: Saga Press
Released: 2016
Source: Library

Synopsis: A year ago Millie lost her legs and her filmmaking career in a failed suicide attempt. Just when she's sure the credits have rolled on her life story, she gets a second chance with the Arcadia Project: a secret organization that polices the traffic to and from a parallel reality filled with creatures straight out of myth and fairy tales.
For her first assignment, Millie is tasked with tracking down a missing movie star, who also happens to be a nobleman of the Seelie Court. To find him, she'll have to smooth talk Hollywood power players and uncover the surreal and sometimes terrifying truth behind the glamour of Tinseltown. But stronger forces than just her inner demons are sabotaging her progress, and if she fails to unravel the conspiracy behind the noble's disappearance, not only will she be out on the streets, but the shattering of a centuries-old peace could spark an all-out war between worlds.
No pressure. (Synopsis from Goodreads)

My Thoughts: I really liked it, but at the same time, I was confused by it. The writing style really pulled me in. It was so addictive. 
I liked the main character Millie, but at the same time, I didn't like the things she did. She has Borderline Personality Disorder, which means she has the tendency to behave erratically and make some horrible choices. Some of the things she says...yikes. She's also very much a lone wolf, and I wished she would have done more with her team instead. I really enjoyed when it was her and Teo investigating the cafe in the beginning, and I wanted more of that. Millie is also an amputee after a failed suicide attempt, which makes her even more interesting. She lost both of her legs. She's independent, but sometimes she needs help from others.
I found the overall world kind of confusing and not really explained. We were thrown into the world just like Millie was. It reminded me of being on a wooden roller coaster - being jerked this way and that. I wish the world had been built up and explained a little clearer.
I really liked this. I'm excited to read the sequel and see what happens next. It was a surprise of a book because it gave me something that I wasn't expecting.

BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 4/5
Feytastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment