Friday, January 22, 2016

Reading Right Now! (#49)

This week's Reading Right Now! is a two-fer. One is the same book I was reading last week and I added a new one into the mix.

 

Title: Nowhere But Here (Nowhere But Here #1)
Author: Kaie McGarry
I'm about 41% through this one.
and
Title: Maplecroft (Maplecroft #1)
Author: Cherie Priest
I'm only on page 30 on this, but I'm interested so far.

I'm still in a bit of a weird reading mood, which would explain why I'm not very far in either book. I've been having mixed feelings about Nowhere But Here so far. Emily has been a bit of an annoyance. It's getting a little better though. I haven't wanted to throw her off a cliff for the last couple pages. I ended up having to return the physical book back to the library, but I rechecked it out on the overdrive/ebook app. Maybe that will make for quicker reading. I loved the first Katie McGarry book I read (Pushing the Limits I think), but Nowhere But Here might just turn out to be a three star read for me.
Then, I just started Maplecroft by Cherie Priest and I'm interested so far. I'm only about 30 pages in, so who knows what will happen. This one is a reimagining of the life and crime of (allegedly) Lizzie Borden. You might know her from this disturbing tune: Lizzie Borden took an axe/Gave her mother 40 wacks/And when she saw what she had done/Gave her father 41. Creepy.
Lizzie Borden was a real lady and her father and stepmother really were chopped to death by an axe or more accurately a hatchet. Lizzie Borden was arrested for the crime, tried, and acquitted. She lived the rest of her life in the same town and was widely believed to be guilty of the murders. Personally, she does seem highly suspicious. She did burn a dress that she claimed was "stained" from housework a couple days after the murder. Anyway, this book takes Lizzie Borden and puts her in a more sympathetic light. What if she wasn't a monster, but instead a monster killer? What if instead of murdering her parents, she instead murdered foul, monstrous creatures who had taken possession of her parents bodies. I'm interested to see where this goes. It should be fun. I'm also kind of curious to read other stuff by Cherie Priest. I've already had my eye on the Boneshaker series.
So that's it for what I'm Reading Right Now! Tell me what you're reading in the comments below.



No comments:

Post a Comment