Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Top 5 Wednesday: Top 5 Disappointing Eye Candy (books that looked beautiful but were awful)

This week's Top 5 Wednesday is our Top 5 Disappointing Eye Candy or books that you picked up because they looked beautiful, but they turned out to be awful. I won't lie, I've got a couple. They always say, don't judge a book by its cover. Sometimes I am shallow and get tricked by a beautiful cover.

  
  
 

Well, I picked a lot more than 5, but in my defense, I don't think all of them were awful. I'll start with the honorable or dishonorable mentions first.

***Splintered by A.G. Howard This wasn't awful, it was just disappointing. It cannot be argued that that cover is pretty though. I enjoyed the first half of this book way more than the second half. It all went to crap when Alyssa got to Wonderland and met that awful moth hybrid Morpheus. I did not like him. I also didn't enjoy this challenge the author had to make Wonderland as weird as she possibly could. It was just too weird for me. Because I love to torture myself and maybe suffer from an odd mental compulsion, I will read the rest of the books in the series just so I can know how everything turns out. The whole series really has beautiful covers though.

***Nearly Gone by Elle Cosimano This could be argued as not really having that pretty of a cover because it's really just part of a face and words, but the cover of this book did help draw me in. My main problem with this one was the main character. Really didn't like her. She reminded me of one of those kids/adults that just think they are smarter and above everyone else. I thought she made stupid decisions, the biggest being not telling the cops everything she knew. I think if she had just been honest, gotten the cops involved from the very start, put all her cards on the table; the killer would have been caught a lot sooner and less people would have ended up dead. So yeah, for being such a smarty-pants, in the end Nearly was just an idiot.

***Nil by Lynne Matson This book disappointed me because I thought I was going to get something different from it. The synopsis reminded me so much of Lost. Teenagers taken to a mysterious island where they are given a year to escape or die. This island with so many secrets, and ability to be an awesome read. My big disappointment came from learning this was really just teenage drama, love island. Everyone was beautiful. It was love at first sight. They couldn't contain themselves for declaring their love for one another even though they had just met. And I learned nothing of why the island was the way it was. What the whole point of the island was. Just sickening mush. And yes, I'll probably torture myself and read the rest of the books so I can see what happens in the end.

Now for my true Top 5 Disappointing Eye Candy books:

5. The Sin Eater's Daughter by Melinda Salisbury My main problem with this cover and really synopsis was that it was a lie. I was drawn into this book, thinking I was getting a Shatter Me like story, and then I figured out how badly I was lied to. The main character in this book just sits and mopes in her room all the time and makes such bad decisions. I was just disappointed in this one. I wanted epicness and got more dullness. I am interested to read the next book in the series because I think it will be about different people and hopefully have a more interesting storyline.

4. Undertow by Michael Buckley This one had a really really cool cover, but the overall story was just too weird for me and I didn't buy it. I hated the love story because I didn't believe it. The fish people were too weird and alien for me to even try to connect with them. I also really didn't like how the author threw in his political views with certain characters and scenarios. I'm reading this for a good story, not because I want to know Michael Buckley's views on real life political candidates. Again, because I want to make myself suffer, I'll probably one day read the other books in this series.

3. Rook by Sharon Cameron That cover is pretty, too bad it contained a book that was too long and mega boring. The world was weird. Didn't understand it. It's supposed to be a book set in the future, but where the inhabitants have given up technology and live in a world that is like the time period of the French Revolution. What's the point of that? This book was just sooooo dull though. I felt like it would never end.

2. The Last Princess by Galaxy Craze This one has a really interesting, colorful, pretty cover, but this one really was kind of awful. It tried to fit in every dystopian/post-apocalyptic trope it could and it ended up just being really bad. I didn't understand why the main character did some of the things she does. I mean, she walks into the camp of the people who just tried to kill her with no real plan. Every cute woodland animal you meet in this book dies, plus beloved pets. And the twists and turns weren't really surprising. This might be a series that I never finish because I don't think the publisher even wanted to finish it. The second book is currently only available as an ebook, and I'm more of a physical copy type of girl. I can honestly say that this one wasn't very good.

1. Reawakened by Colleen Houck I think I have the most intense feelings about this one still. I was drawn to this book because of its beautiful cover. I mean, it's beautiful! But man did I hate this book. I wanted to push the main character off a cliff as soon as I met her. She's a privileged, rude, self-important snob and I don't like her. I didn't like how she kept trying to push herself on the main guy when he really wasn't interested in her. I also didn't like how our main guy pretty much attached himself like a parasite to Lily. She thought she went on this journey with him because she was special, it was really only because she was the first human he saw and he needed her life force to live. That doesn't mean that he liked her, he was using her, and she was too much of an annoying idiot to realize it. Maybe I'll read the sequel. I bet the cover will be just as pretty. I mean, I guess I want to know what happens next, but I know I'm probably going to hate it too. Leaving things unfinished just bothers me more than my actual hatred for the book I guess.

So that's my Top 5 Disappointing Eye Candy (books that looked beautiful but were awful). Are any of my picks on your list too? Do you disagree with any of the books I picked? Let me know because everyone has different opinions. If you want to join in on the Top 5 Wednesday fun, you totally should. Each Wednesday, there's a new topic to consider and answer. Check out all the other Top 5 Wednesday-ers here!



No comments:

Post a Comment