Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Top 5 Wednesday: Top 5 Buzz Words

This week's Top 5 Wednesday is our Top 5 Favorite Buzz Words that when I see them, make it a guaranteed buy. This is going to be an interesting topic because everybody's buzz words are going to be different. Words that stick out to me might not stick out to other people. Words that interest me could cause others to turn away. So just interesting to see what words call out to people. Here are my Top 5 Buzz Words!

5. Pirates
Yo ho,Yo ho a pirates life for me!! Ever since watching Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl, I've been very interested in them. So interested in fact, that I did my senior project on it. Didn't get the highest grade on my senior project, but I had so much fun researching famous pirates, discovering fun pirate tidbits, and learning about some famous women pirates. So I will now bore you with some of the pirate facts I learned.
 Blackbeard, one of the most fearsome and well-known pirates, was definitely a really scary dude. He would stick lighted tapers in his huge, black beard and pretty much resembled the devil. His real name was Edward Teach or Edward Thatch. He met his end off the coast of North Carolina and his head was taken as proof. They've actually pulled up pieces of his ship, The Queen Anne's Revenge off the ocean bottom not that long ago.
One of my favorite random tidbits is all about Pirate Flags. Each Pirate had their own distinctive flag that would alert the unfortunate ships they came into contact with. They usually had bones, knives, skulls that warned of death to those unlucky enough to come into contact with them. The most well known pirate flag comes from a pirate that you probably haven't heard that much about.
This is the flag of Calico Jack Rackham. He's famous for this flag and being the Captain of the ship where the two famous women pirates, Mary Read and Anne Bonny served. He ended up being hanged for the crimes of piracy.
My third random fact made me feel like such a smarty pants when I saw Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End. There's a scene where the big pirate captains are gathered together, I think to bring down Calypso. Anyway, there's a female, Chinese pirate captain there, and I recognized who she was supposed to be. Her name was Madame Cheng or Ching. She was a pirate in China who took over after her husband died. She became so powerful, with a huge fleet of ships, that the Chinese government was unable to bring her down by force. They made a deal with her in which she still had money and power. She was one of a handful of pirates who was able to live to a ripe old age.
Okay, I won't tell you any more random facts. It's obvious that I find pirates really fascinating. If I hear mention of pirates in the description of a book, I'm automatically interested. Now, not every pirate book tickles my fancy, but it definitely gets me to do a second look at a book.
What do you do with a drunken pirate? What do you do with a drunken pirate? What do you do with a drunken pirate? Throw him in the brig. (A fun pirate song!!) 

4. Time Travel
Time Travel will get me 90% of the time. I'm only not interested if they end up going back to a time that I don't care about. There's just something cool about Time Travel. The culture shock, the cool historical aspects, it's just a lot of fun. Time Travel is a definite buzz word.

3. Paranormal
I'm also a sucker for Paranormal anything. Magic, werewolves, vampires, shape shifters just makes a story so much more fun for me. I love urban fantasy, paranormal romance, and of course the hundreds of YA books with something that makes them so much more fun than a boring contemporary. If I read Paranormal in a synopsis, I'm in.

2. Zombies
This one should surprise no one that knows me or has followed my blog/youtube/instagram/twitter for awhile. My love for the TV show The Walking Dead really kickstarted my foray into all things zombie. I just love the world that is presented in zombie books. Everything is going to crap and it's really about the human drive to survive. It's not so much about the shambling dead in the streets, but the human story that gets me. Zombie is definitely a buzz word that grabs me and doesn't let me go until the book is in my hand.

1. Post-Apocalyptic
This one kind of goes with my Zombie buzz word because it's usually set in a Post-Apocalyptic world. I was tempted to combine this with Dystopia, but decided against it because those are really two separate things. I love the feel I get from Post-Apocalyptic books. That feeling of humans surviving in a world that's been decimated by something. I think they are a lot of fun. Put Post-Apocalyptic elements in a synopsis and I'm game to read it.

So those are my Top 5 Buzz Words. What words when you see them in the synopsis, make you want to buy a book right then and there? Let me know if we have any of the same Buzz Words. If you want to join in on the Top 5 Wednesday fun, you totally should. Each Wednesday is a new, fun topic to consider and adds a little something different to your blogs or booktubes. One can only do so many tags, wrap-ups, reviews and hauls. Check out all the other Top 5 Wednesday-ers here!

No comments:

Post a Comment