Tuesday, January 26, 2016

What Did I Think Of: The 100: Season 3, Episode 1 (SPOILERS!)

So how about this for a Tuesday. One of my favorite shows finally came back on the air January 21, 2016. The 100 is back for its third season. The wait has been excruciating. So I ran to my TV Thursday night and watched the episode. I decided to share what I thought about it. This isn't going to be a review, but rather a fan's reaction to a favorite show. All thoughts and opinions are going to be my own. I'm not going to go into detail or depth, or sugarcoat my true feelings because it's unpopular opinion to some. If you don't like what I have to say, then that's your problem. So mean, I know. But with all the ship wars going on within The 100 community, it's dangerous out there. I'm not apologizing for what I think, want, or feel. My ability to ramble on astounds even me. Anyway....

THE 100 IS BACK!!!


There was a lot crammed into this first episode. After all the expectation and waiting for it to come back, I felt like I maybe overhyped myself. It was a good episode, but it was a much calmer feel than the craziness that went down in Season 2. 
There were a lot of separate kind of story-lines in the Season 3, Episode 1. First we've got Jaha and Murphy. At the end of Season 2, Jaha has made his way to a mysterious mansion and met with a mysterious AI. Her name is ALI and it's pretty clear that she had something to do with the end of the world. Murphy found himself a bunker full of crackers and booze, but then finds out its former owner created ALI, blamed himself (and her) for the apocalypse, and shot himself.


So Season 3 opens and Jaha is still crazy. Murphy meanwhile gets sealed in the bunker for 86 days and pretty much comes close to losing his mind. On day 86 the bunker unseals itself thanks to lovely Jaha and ALI's command. Murphy knows he has to get out of there.
I'm really loving Murphy. In the first Season, I did not like him, but he's really grown on me since. He's not a good guy, but maybe redeemable. I think I want him away from Jaha, cause Jaha is just off his rocker. I have no idea what this City of Light stuff is, but it sure doesn't look like an actual place where people can be happy and safe. 

Then we get to the Ark. They've called their camp/city/whatever it is Arkadia. I like it, catchy. So 3 months have gone by since Mount Weather and Clarke leaving. It looks like the adults have completely taken over, which is slightly depressing. Bellamy has kind of been regulated to a regiment commander with Monty, Jasper, Miller, Raven, and the other kids from Season 2. I was very happy to see all of their faces.


But at the same time, I kind of feel bad for everybody. First Raven, she is awesome. She's having to deal with being disabled and it's just so sad to see her struggle. She's the type of person who's independent and doesn't want help from anyone. Also, she's apparently not in a relationship with Wick anymore, which makes me sad. I heard rumors that something went on with the actor that played Wick and he was let go from the show. I really liked Wick and Raven together. Her being alone and hurting just makes me sad.
The bromance between Jasper and Monty is also off. Jasper is in deep grief over the events at the Mountain and Maya. He's taken to drinking and doesn't seem to care whether he lives or dies. Monty feels guilt over his actions at the Mountain and it doesn't help that Jasper's constantly throwing it in his face. I want them to be best buddies again. They all did have a nice, fun scene in the tricked out vehicle though. 
And then Bellamy, the one I look forward to seeing most. Seeing him at the end of Season 2, watching Clarke walk away, so many emotions. I am a Bellarke shipper. I think their chemistry is so apparent and I want one day for them to happen. So I was kind of thrown off by Bellamy's new girlfriend. I just thought it was a strange move for the show to take. First, his new girlfriend is completely new. I've never seen her on the show before. It would be easier to accept a new girlfriend for Bellamy if I could have seen how the relationship started and grew. I also just don't really feel the love between the two of them. Sure, I could be in Bellarke denial, but I will eagerly be awaiting this new relationships demise. I also think this new relationship is weird because none of the other characters have moved on and gotten new significant others. I just don't buy the new girlfriend. It just seems like a way to rub it in my face that Bellarke is not going to happen in this season. 

And lastly we've got Clarke living in the jungle like a female Tarzan. She's legend now for what she did to the Mountain Men and there is a bounty on her head. The Grounders believe she has power, and if they capture and kill her, they will inherit that power.
So if we're gonna talk about Clarke, her sexy scene has to be mentioned. I wasn't a fan. It just seemed like too much of an attempt to cater to a certain audience. I'm not on team Clexa or Nilarke (whatever they attempt to call that one). I know it's the PC thing to do now. Every show has to have a bisexual/gay/lesbian character. I'm over it. Disagree with me if you wish.

So those are my rambling thoughts on The 100 Season 3, Episode 1. I'm going to try to do one of these for every episode. These are just my thoughts and opinions, so if you disagree with them, okay. I'm excited to see the next episode. I'm hopeful that things will really pick up. I'm highly anticipating the reunion between Bellamy and Clarke, even though I'll probably get nothing. So yes, Season 3 I'm ready to be immersed.

Episode Grade: B
Not the exhilarating, intense season opener I was hoping for.





No comments:

Post a Comment