Thursday, February 9, 2017

Review: Deceptive (Illusive #2) by Emily Lloyd-Jones


Title: Deceptive (Illusive #2)
Author: Emily Lloyd-Jones
Published by: Little, Brown and Company
Released: 2015
Source: Library

Summary: The past year has taken our gang of talented criminals to different places. Ciere is working to pay off her debt to the mob by lending her services to them.
After being sent away by Ciere, Devon is trying to figure out where he belongs. When a unique job opportunity presents itself, Devon decides to just go along with it.
Daniel is cut off from all his old friends. He knows they won't ever be safe around him. Daniel has to decide what to do since his old life is closed to him.
Life is complicated, especially when you have the immunities of super memory, illusions, and a knack for escaping. Things are about to get serious for our old gang of criminals.
My Thoughts: I really love this series. It's so fun, with super powered criminals and various moral dilemmas. I think one of this series true strengths is that this story can go pretty much anywhere. The world is their oyster. New threats can pop up, new heists can be planned, the possibilities are endless. When I first started this, I realized that it didn't exactly feel like a direct sequel, it just felt like a continuation to a world I really enjoyed, and characters that I really was interested in. It's just such an interesting premise and I love it!
There were some thing that didn't exactly work for me in this book. One was the strange time jumps. Every so often, a character would remember something that happened in their past, and the reader would then get transported there. It just became a little confusing as to whether I was reading present or past, and then exactly where the past parts ended, and we went back to the present. 
I also thought the romance that happened was a little rushed and weird. Not that I'm against it, I guess I just wanted to feel the journey more.
Everything else I loved though. I liked how we got Devon, Daniel, and Ciere's stories. I liked how the characters were facing moral dilemmas. There were all these different shades of gray that were just super interesting. I liked how all the characters were questioning where they belonged.
I did miss Kit thought, I wanted more of him in the book.
This book and this series is so fun. It plays out like a movie. Very fast-paced, full of action, and in such a cool world. I could read countless books in this series and never get bored. I really hope there are more books in this series. The way Deceptive ended didn't feel the most final, and I would hate for it to be the last one. I Want More! I Need More!
This book was great. This series is great. I really recommend it to anyone and everyone. It's a lot of fun that shouldn't be missed.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 4/5
I WANT MORE!!

No comments:

Post a Comment