Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Top 5 Wednesday: Top 5 Favorite Non-Written Novels (graphic novels, comics, manga, and more)

These week's Top 5 Wednesday is our Top 5 Favorite Non-Written Novels! This is exciting. Non-Written novels would include things like graphic novels, comics, and manga. I love comics, mangas, and graphic novels. They can be so refreshing to read between the long, traditional novels. If you haven't tried out a book/story in this format, I highly recommend you do. I was introduced to manga in middle school. I had a friend who's sister loved manga, and I got to borrow some of it. I was introduced to comics and graphic novels since joining booktube and all the other bookish communities since 2012. Here are some of my favorite non-written novels.

 
  

--Fushigi Yugi (The Mysterious Play) by Yuu Watase-- This is a manga that I started in middle school and it continues to hold a special place in my heart. I'm a really big fan of Yuu Watase. I've read a lot of her stuff, but Fushigi Yugi was the first, and therefore special. 
This series is about a girl named Miaka who finds herself mysteriously transported to a different world and different time. She finds out she's special, a chosen one, and has special warriors who have been called to protect her. 
Now, be warned, Miaka can be kind of annoying, but the love story is sweet and I love all the side characters.

--Y: The Last Man by Brian K. Vaughan, Pia Guerra, and Goran Sudzuka-- I've been reading this series the past year and some change, and I've been enjoying it. Is it my absolute favorite thing ever? Probably not, but I've been having fun reading through the series. I'm on Volume 9 now, which means I only have one more Volume left until I'm finished with the whole thing. This series is about a plague or an event, I'm still not really all that sure, that wipes out every single male of every species on Earth. The only man to survive is Yorick Brown and his male pet monkey Ampersand. He gets put under the protection of Agent 355, who takes him across the country and the world to search for a cure.
This one is written by the oh-so-popular Brian K. Vaughan. Yes, he's the one of Saga fame. I thought about putting Saga on the list, but while I like Saga, I don't think I'm in love with it.

--Marmalade Boy by Wataru Yoshizumi-- This was the first manga I really go into, so it holds a special place in my heart. It was the first manga that I would go to bookstores and buy the volumes for. It's essentially a cute love story between two teens, who become step siblings because their moms marry each other's dads. Yes you read that right. It might sound a little icky, with that whole brother/sister thing, but they aren't really related. I just loved it. I loved the art, I loved the story, I loved the sweet little romance. I really wish that my book hoarding phase had been as strong then, because I regret selling them off.

--iZombie by Chris Roberson and Michael Allred-- This series I just find fun. I love the art work. I wanted to check it out because of the CW show, which I don't really watch, but the concept was interesting to me. It's essentially about a girl who gets turned into a zombie. The only way to protect herself from turning into a shambling, hungry corpse is to eat a brain every now and again. She works as a gravedigger, which is how she gets her brains. Once she eats the brain of the recently deceased, she is bombarded by their memories, and sometimes has to go bring the dead peace.
She's also friends with a were-terrier, a ghost, and she kind of has a crush on a monster hunter.

--Chew by John Layman and Rob Guillory-- This series is my favorite!! I love the humor of it, the art style. It's so fun. It's about this guy named Tony Chew who has this special ability to eat things and tell exactly where they come from and what happened to them. He works to solve crimes.
Tony and his partner John totally remind me of Miles and Sawyer from Lost, I LOVE IT!
I love reading this series. It's just fun and it makes me laugh. I think the final volume just came out.

So that's my Top 5 Wednesday: Top 5 Non-Written Novels. Have I interested you in any of them? Do we share any favorites? Let me know in the comments below. If you want to join in on the Top 5 Wednesday fun, you totally should. Each Wednesday is a fun, new topic to think about and answer. Check out all the other Wednesday-ers HERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment