Monday, May 8, 2017

Review: Alex + Ada, Volume 1 by Jonathan Luna and Sarah Vaughn


Title: Alex + Ada, Volume 1
Authors: Jonathan Luna and Sarah Vaughn
Published by: Image Comics, Inc.
Released: July 2014
Source: Library

Summary: The future is what Alex calls home. He has tech implanted in his brain. A mini robot to serve him coffee in the morning. He is very lonely though. His grandmother sees that, and decides to help him by gifting him an Android for his birthday. Problem is, he never wanted the Android. 
He grows attached, names her Ada, but he still wants something more.
My Thoughts: I thought this was okay. I'd been hearing the praises of this comic series on booktube and Goodreads, so I was expecting something really good, what I got was just all right. I didn't hate it, but I'm not going gaga over it either.
I think the concept is interesting. It does remind me a lot of the mangas Chobits and Absolute Boyfriend. A similar concept is threaded through all of them, but where those mangas are funny and/or highly inappropriate, Alex + Ada is just kind of bland. I was interested in the story, but I wasn't blown away by it.
I also thought the artwork was kind of a bore as well. Everyone kind of has the same look, the same expressions. There's not a lot of excitement in the presentation.
I did enjoy the future world though, and the backstory.
I enjoyed this well enough, but it's nothing I'm going to write home about. The story is interesting, and I'll probably continue on with it to see what happens next.
BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 3/5
hmmm... it's okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment